Official binaries of HOOMD-blue are available via conda through
the glotzer channel. Conda is a python-centric packaging system
targeted at computational researchers. The default package database includes many useful packages
scikit-learn. Many more user-provided packages are available through
channels on anaconda.org.
$ conda config --add channels glotzer $ conda install hoomd
If you have already installed hoomd in conda, you can upgrade to the latest version:
$ conda update --all
If you find HOOMD-blue useful in your research, please cite it. See the citation page for instructions.
- On Linux (64-bit):
- CPU with AVX capabilities (2011 or newer)
- A recent linux distribution (such as CentOS/RHEL 6, ubuntu 14.04, or newer)
- [optional] NVIDIA drivers 352.55 or newer
- [optional] CUDA capable NVIDIA GPU, compute 2.0 or newer.
- On Mac:
- CPU with AVX capabilities (2011 or newer)
- OSX 10.8 or newer
- Note: Mac builds are not MPI or GPU enabled.
User supported binaries
A HOOMD-blue user maintains an Arch Linux (AUR) package.
git to clone from HOOMD-blue's bitbucket repository.
See the user manual for system requirements and build instructions.
- Fix acceptance criterion in mu-V-T simulations with implicit depletants (HPMC).
- References to disabled analyzers, computes, updaters, etc. are properly freed from the simulation context.
- Fix a bug where
- Report an error when HPMC kernels run out of memory.
- Fix ghost layer when using rigid constraints in MPI runs.
- Clarify definition of the dihedral angle.
HOOMD-blue v2.0 is released under a clean BSD 3-clause license.
dem- simulate faceted shapes with dynamics
hpmc- hard particle Monte Carlo of a variety of shape classes.
- Angles, dihedrals, and impropers no longer initialize with one default type.
- Fixed a bug where integrate.brownian gave the same x,y, and z velocity components.
- Data proxies verify input types and vector lengths.
- dump.dcd no longer generates excessive metadata traffic on lustre file systems
- Distance constraints
constrain.distance- constrain pairs of particles to a fixed separation distance
- Rigid body constraints
constrain.rigid- rigid bodies now have central particles, and support MPI and replication
- Multi-GPU electrostatics
charge.pppm- the long range electrostatic forces are now supported in MPI runs
context.initialize()can now be called multiple times - useful in jupyter notebooks
- Manage multiple simulations in a single job script with
SimulationContextas a python context manager.
util.quiet_status() / util.unquiet_status()allow users to control if line status messages are output.
- Support executing hoomd in Jupyter (ipython) notebooks. Notice, warning, and error messages now show up in the notebook output blocks.
analyze.logcan now register python callback functions as sources for logged quantities.
- The GSD file format (http://gsd.readthedocs.io) is fully implemented in hoomd
dump.gsdwrites GSD trajectories and restart files (use
init.read_gsdreads GSD file and initializes the system, and can start the simulation from any frame in the GSD file.
data.gsd_snapshotreads a GSD file into a snapshot which can be modified before system initialization with
- The GSD file format is capable of storing all particle and topology data fields in hoomd, either static at frame 0, or varying over the course of the trajectory. The number of particles, types, bonds, etc. can also vary over the trajectory.
force.activeapplies an active force (optionally with rotational diffusion) to a group of particles
update.constrain_ellipsoidconstrains particles to an ellipsoid
integrate.browniannow apply rotational noise and damping to anisotropic particles
- Support dynamically updating groups.
group.force_update()forces the group to rebuild according to the original selection criteria. For example, this can be used to periodically update a cuboid group to include particles only in the specified region.
pair.reaction_fieldimplements a pair force for a screened electrostatic interaction of a charge pair in a dielectric medium.
force.get_energyallows querying the potential energy of a particle group for a specific force
init.create_latticeinitializes particles on a lattice.
lattice.unitcellprovides a generic unit cell definition for
- Convenience functions for common lattices: sq, hex, sc, bcc, fcc.
- Dump and initialize commands for the GTAR file format (http://libgetar.readthedocs.io).
- GTAR can store trajectory data in zip, tar, sqlite, or bare directories
- The current version stores system properties, later versions will be able to capture log, metadata, and other output to reduce the number of files that a job script produces.
integrate.nptcan now apply a constant stress tensor to the simulation box.
- Faceted shapes can now be simulated through the
Changes that require job script modifications
context.initialize()is now required before any other hoomd script command.
init.reset()no longer exists. Use
context.initialize()or activate a
- Any scripts that relied on undocumented members of the
globalsmodule will fail. These variables have been moved to the
contextmodule and members of the currently active
- bonds, angles, dihedrals, and impropers no longer use the
hoomd_scriptno longer exists, python commands are now spread across
hoomd.md, and other sub packages.
integrate.\*_rigid()no longer exists. Use a standard integrator on
group.rigid_center(), and define rigid bodies using
- All neighbor lists must be explicitly created using
nlist.\*, and each pair potential must be attached explicitly to a neighbor list. A default global neighbor list is no longer created.
- Moved cgcmm into its own package.
- Moved eam into the metal package.
- Integrators now take
kTarguments for temperature instead of
Tto avoid confusion on the units of temperature.
- phase defaults to 0 for updaters and analyzers so that restartable jobs are more easily enabled by default.
dump.xml(deprecated) requires a particle group, and can dump subsets of particles.
- CMake minimum version is now 2.8
- Convert particle type names to
strto allow unicode type name input
__version__is now available in the top level package
boost::iostreamsis no longer a build dependency
boost::filesystemis no longer a build dependency
- New concepts page explaining the different styles of neighbor lists
- Default neighbor list buffer radius is more clearly shown to be r_buff = 0.4
- Memory usage of
nlist.stencilis significantly reduced
- A C++11 compliant compiler is now required to build HOOMD-blue
integrate.nvt- The MTK NVT integrator is now the only implementation.
integrate.\*_rigid(): rigid body functionality is now contained in the standard integration methods
- Removed the global neighbor list, and thin wrappers to the neighbor list in
- Removed PDB and MOL2 dump writers.
- Removed init.create_empty
- Deprecated analyze.msd.
- Deprecated dump.xml.
- Deprecated dump.pos.
- Deprecated init.read_xml.
- Deprecated init.create_random.
- Deprecated init.create_random_polymers.
Older change log entries are available in the source file ChangeLog.md.